Invisalign in La Jolla & San Diego, CA
If you’re unhappy, self-conscious, or embarrassed about a misaligned or crooked smile and you’ve decided traditional metal braces aren’t a good option for you, Dr. David Sabourin can help.
With discreet and comfortable Invisalign in La Jolla, Dr. Sabourin has helped countless patients achieve beautiful, healthy smiles without reliance on the unwieldy metal brackets and painful wires required with traditional metal braces.
You’re in good hands if you are considering Invisalign cosmetic dentistry in San Diego with Dr. Sabourin as he has been practicing for over 35 years with excellent patient reviews.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign in San Diego is an alternative to traditional orthodontic treatment and an ideal option for most adults and many teens. Invisalign clear braces enable straightening teeth with little interference on your lifestyle. In addition to being more comfortable than metal braces, most people won’t even know you’re wearing braces because they’re so inconspicuous.
When you choose Invisalign, you’ll receive a series of 20–26 custom-made clear aligners created specifically for you. The aligner trays are made of smooth, comfortable, and virtually invisible plastic that fit snugly over your teeth.
Invisalign aligners are fabricated from a proprietary material called SmartTrack?. This extremely durable and BPA-free clear plastic improves targeted control of tooth movement, gradually and comfortably. SmartForce? attachments are tiny, tooth-colored shapes that help aligners apply the right amount of force in the right direction.
The Benefits of Invisalign
Below are just a few benefits of Invisalign treatment.
- Discreet orthodontic treatment
- Doesn’t require any food limitations
- Smooth and comfortable to wear
- Greater self-confidence during treatment
- Fits busy adult and teen lifestyles
- Removable aligners allow proper brushing and flossing
What Concerns Can Invisalign Treat?
While invisible braces in San Diego can correct many orthodontic issues, Invisalign treatment has limitations. Invisalign isn’t capable of raising or lowering the position of teeth in the jawline, correcting a midline discrepancy of more than 2mm, or resolving severe overbites or large gaps.
In general, clear braces in San Diego are a good option for treating the following tooth alignment issues and resolving associated problems:
- Crowding: When there isn’t enough room in your jaw for teeth to fit normally, teeth can bunch up, overlap, or twist, which can cause them to get pushed to the front or back. This makes it easier for plaque, tartar, and harmful bacteria to build up, thereby increasing your risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Crookedness: Crooked teeth can negatively impact your self-esteem, oral health, and general wellness and also make it more difficult to properly brush and floss.
- Gaps: In addition to tooth gaps being cosmetically undesirable, teeth that don’t fit tightly together enable bacteria to flourish in the spaces, thereby increasing the risk of tooth decay and gum disease. Gaps can also cause speech problems.
- Overbite: While an obvious cosmetic issue, upper teeth that jut out in front of your bottom teeth can cause breathing and speech problems, difficulty chewing, tooth decay, gum disease, and painful temporomandibular jaw (TMJ) dysfunction.
- Underbite: If lower teeth protrude past your upper teeth, this can cause wear and tear on your front teeth, chewing difficulties, and sometimes speech problems.
- Cross bite: If your upper and lower jaws don’t line up, this can lead to loosening teeth, gum recession, enamel wear and tear, tooth decay, and TMJ-related pain.
- Open bite: When your top and bottom teeth don’t meet, it can be extremely difficult to bite into certain foods and this can also cause speech problems.
Steps Involved in the Invisalign Treatment Process
- At your initial consultation, Dr.Sabourin will discuss your orthodontic needs and evaluate whether Invisalign in San Diego is the right option for you. He believes in communication as transparent as the clear aligners you’ll receive, so he always tells you what to expect and discusses costs upfront.
- Using the iTero digital scanning system, Dr. Sabourin takes 3D digital images of your teeth to create a precise treatment plan, including exact movements of your teeth and an estimate of how long treatment will take. Invisalign ClinCheck software provides an algorithm to calculate just the right amount of force for every tooth movement.
- Next, the impressions are sent to the Invisalign dental lab to create your customized trays using an advanced 3D printing process. Dr. Sabourin works closely with Invisalign on any adjustments that need to be made to ensure your aligners precisely match his specifications.
- It can take up to a month for Invisalign to fabricate your aligners and send them back to us. Once we receive Invisalign trays, you’ll return to our practice so Dr. Sabourin can make sure they fit snugly and provide you with further instructions.
- When the last tray has been worn for the final two weeks, some patients still need minimal adjustments to achieve a perfect smile. If you require this, Dr. Sabourin will contact Invisalign to order “refinement” trays, without any additional charge to you. As before, it may take up to a month for the Invisalign trays to be delivered to our practice.
- After proper alignment is achieved, Dr. Sabourin recommends wearing the Invisalign Vivera retainer while you sleep to prevent teeth from shifting and moving. The retainer is custom fit to your smile, which ensures comfort and helps increase the likelihood of compliance.
How Long Does Invisalign Take?
To achieve the most optimal results, you need to wear Invisalign clear aligners 20 to 22 hours a day and only remove them for eating, brushing, and flossing. Over the course of treatment, you’ll switch to a new set of aligners, usually about every two weeks. The precise timing of this depends on the condition of your teeth, the issues being corrected, and your progress.
A nice benefit is that you’ll start seeing results in just a few weeks. Each set helps you progress toward the goal of straight, beautifully aligned teeth. For minor alignment issues, the treatment process can sometimes be completed in as little as six months. But most Invisalign patients require 12–18 months to achieve their smile goals.
Invisalign vs. Traditional Braces
Invisalign treatment is the most advanced clear aligner system, backed by more than two decades of innovation. With traditional braces, you can’t eat a long list of foods because they can damage or get stuck in your wires and brackets. Invisalign enables you to follow a proper oral hygiene routine and eat your favorite foods.
Invisalign is a great option for adults who want to straighten their teeth without impacting their personal and professional lives, as well as teens who feel self-conscious about wearing metal braces.
How Much Does Invisalign Cost?
In most cases, the cost of Invisalign is similar to or slightly higher than traditional metal braces. In general, the cost can vary based on age, severity of the alignment issue, number of required aligners, and a patient’s commitment to achieving a successful outcome.
Dr. Sabourin offers highly competitive prices, accepts major dental insurance plans, and files insurance claims on your behalf. We also partner with the leading third-party financing company CareCredit to make getting Invisalign in San Diego even more affordable.
Why Choose Dr. Sabourin for Invisalign?
Dr. Sabourin is a certified Invisalign dentist, which means he has received advanced training in this protocol. With more than 35 years of cosmetic dentistry experience in San Diego, Dr. Sabourin is a top Invisalign dentist in San Diego who has helped countless patients achieve dream smiles with Invisalign.
Other Frequently Asked Invisalign Questions
Does Invisalign Cause Any Side Effects?
Invisalign works by applying gentle, constant force to move teeth. Some patients feel temporary discomfort and may experience a slight lisp the first few days wearing a new set of aligners. The feeling of “pressure” is normal and a sign Invisalign clear aligners are working and transforming your smile, while the lisp will disappear quickly.
Is Invisalign Comfortable to Wear in Daily Life?
Invisalign aligners are similar to a mouthguard with smooth edges, making them far more comfortable than traditional braces with virtually no impact on your daily activities.
Can Invisalign Be Worn During Sports?
Invisalign can be worn for low-impact sports, but you need to remove them and wear a sports mouthguard for any contact sports. Aligners can easily break or come loose if you experience a blow to the face.
What Oral Hygiene Routine Should I Follow with Invisalign?
After eating or drinking a beverage, you need to brush your teeth prior to placing Invisalign aligners back in your mouth. This is essential to avoid discoloration, tooth decay, and gum disease. You should also floss once a day.
How Do I Take Care of Aligners?
Never drink beverages (other than cold water) or eat food with aligners in your mouth. Clean your aligners by brushing and rinsing them in lukewarm water and using the Invisalign Cleaning Crystals or special cleaning tablets.
How Long Does a Straight Smile Last After Invisalign?
Alignment corrections have the potential to last a lifetime. Wearing the Vivera retainer every night helps to ensure your teeth stay straight for many years to come. Some patients can transition to wearing the retainer three to five nights around the 12-month mark after completing treatment.
Can I Get Invisalign if I Have Crowns or Veneers?
If you’re looking to undergo orthodontic treatment, it’s important to mention any prior cosmetic dentistry procedures you had. During your first visit with Dr. Sabourin, he’ll evaluate if Invisalign is a viable option for you.
Can I Get Invisalign After Wearing Traditional Braces?
Sometimes when metal braces are removed, teeth can shift back slightly. Many patients who previously wore metal braces choose Invisalign to improve their smile after shifting has occurred.
What Are the Alternatives to Invisalign?
Since Invisalign was FDA approved in 1998, other companies have introduced similar products, such as the lower-cost competitors Smile Direct Club and ClearCorrect, among others. The other option is to wear clear braces.
Are Clear Braces the Same as Invisalign?
No, clear braces straighten teeth the same way as metal braces, except they’re far more discreet. The brackets are made out of porcelain to match your tooth color, elastics are clear, and the archwire can be white in order to make braces as inconspicuous as possible.
Schedule Your Invisalign Consultation Today
Interested in finding out if Invisalign is a good option to achieve straight teeth? Schedule a consultation with Dr. Sabourin to assess your smile and determine if you’re a good candidate for virtually invisible Invisalign.